All about the SunWorks™ Solar Food Dryer Kit
Get started with high-performance solar food drying quickly and easily with our complete, ready-to-assemble kit! Made with high-quality materials and manufactured with care to deliver great results and years of enjoyment.
The SunWorks™ Solar Food Dryer is simply the best!
- The fastest, easiest, and best way to dry food under the sun!
- Dries up to 6 pounds of food with just one or two days of sunshine.
- Two large food trays provide more than 10 square feet of drying area.
- Delivers maximum drying performance from 100% solar energy and gets food as dry as you like.
- The compact and light weight SunWorks™ SFD is easy to use; easy to move around; easy to store; and weighs less than 35 lbs.
- The clear solar glazing blocks all ultraviolet rays, while transmitting solar energy from the visible and infrared spectrums.
- Easily control drying temperature with adjustable venting controls (more venting = more air flow = lower temperature).
- All vent openings are screened to keep insects out.
- Made in the U.S.A. in Eugene, Oregon.
|“This kit is based on years of solar food drying experience and lots of research and design testing. I hope you enjoy the SunWorks dryer and use it as much as I do.”
– Eben Fodor, author, The Solar Food Dryer
Advantages of Solar Drying
Get out of the kitchen and into the sun!
- Operates outdoors so the heat and odors don’t go indoors, like they do with electric dryers.
- It’s more fun. Spend more time outdoors, not in a hot kitchen. Learn about solar energy and the power of the sun. Get great results fast.
- Quiet. No noisy fans that run constantly in electric dryers.
- Save energy and money. Solar drying saves you $1 to $2 per load in electricity costs over electric drying. (Save even more if your home’s central AC system has to run to remove the extra heat added by your electric dryer.)
- Cabinet keeps food secure, clean, and dry, even if it rains.
- Capture and preserve the summer’s nutritious bounty for enjoyment all year.
- To expand the convenience of your 100% solar SunWorks™ food dryer, electric backup heating can be added for electric drying during overcast or winter periods.
High-Quality Construction and Materials
The SunWorks™ SFD Kit is made for a long life of outdoor food drying.
- Solid wood cabinet for strength, durability, and beauty (made with cedar legs and attractive, rough-sawn, exterior plywood cabinet that is formaldehyde-free and meets CARB-Phase 2 standards)
- Absorber plate is rust-free, black powder-coated, heavy-duty aluminum to capture and distribute heat evenly for consistent drying results.
- Aluminum screen frames are sturdy, lightweight, easy to load and clean, and won’t rust.
- SunScreen™ polypropylene screens are perfect for solar food dryers (included).
- High-quality polycarbonate glazing has 10-year manufacturer warranty for outdoor use, is 200x stronger than glass, and provides superior insulation.
What’s Included in the Kit?
- The complete wood cabinet ready to assemble
- All hardware, handles, vent adjuster, and fasteners
- Solar glazing with aluminum frame
- Two sturdy aluminum screen frames
- SunScreen™ polypropylene screens
- Aluminum absorber plate, powder-coated flat black, cut and drilled to fit
- Screen material for all vent openings
- A large-dial thermometer for monitoring drying temperature - a $10 value!
- Assembly instructions and operating tips
- Shipped in 100% post-consumer recycled content box
No wood or metal cutting required. No special tools or skills needed.
Assembled Dimensions: 30” wide by 27” long by 28” high (including legs)
- Fits in the back of a Subaru station wagon so you can share it with friends!
Fresh-picked strawberries loaded in SunWorks Solar Food Dryer.
Links for SunWorks™ Kit info:
[Kit Info & Photos]
[How the SunWorks™ SFD works]